Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Birth of Mini Me Woolies

After months of making hand-knit, premium wool doll clothes for my daughter's dolls, I decided to see if other wool loving mamas want beautiful garments for the naked dolls in their homes.



I've spent the past few months working on my own pattern designs as well as obtaining permission from other designers to sell modified versions of their designs. I am currently knitting some ready-to-purchase items, but am hoping to focus on your yarn, my needles projects.

What I love to do, is to take your odd balls of leftover yarns that seem too small for bigger projects, but are just right for transforming into doll garments. Have a odd skein of yarn that you don't know what to make with? I can create matching garments for 2 doll babies or a dress and hat set for one.

Who wears Mini Me Woolies?

I have pieces for 18" American Girl size dolls, Cabbage Patch Kids, Waldorf style dolls, 15" baby dolls, and even Build-a-Bears. The pieces are designed to easily put on dolls, but some may have button closures. For that reason, some pieces may not be intended for small children.

Why wool?

Most of the yarn I will use for instock items is 100% wool. I love the feel of fine quality wool- it's incredibly soft, sturdy, and gentle to the touch. Hand-dyed wool is rich in color and makes the garments heirloom quality as well as stunningly beautiful. Many people think they are allergic or sensitive to wool, but most of the time they are actually just sensitive to commercially prepared wool, which has been heavily treated with chemicals. The yarn I select for Mini Me Woolies garments is very soft to touch, with no itchy factor, because I know that your child's doll or bears will be handled and snuggled.

How Do You Take Care of Mini Me Woolies?

Hand-knit items last longer and look their best when they are hand washed and laid flat to dry. It's super easy to do! The video below walks you through the whole hand washing procedure, if you are unfamiliar with it.



How Do I order Custom Mini Me Woolies?

I will have custom slots available each month. I generally plan to offer 4 slots per month, with items completed one week at a time.

Can you Make my Child a Matching Garment?

At this time, I am only knitting the doll garments for sale. In the future, I may occasionally find that I have time to knit larger sizes as well. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I will try to offer links to other knitters that make larger pieces so you can have a set.

No comments:

Post a Comment